Tamara A. Fackrell, J.D.313 South 740 East
American Fork, Utah 84003
Salt Lake CIty Office (801) 456-4199
Utah County Office (801) 377-1425
Tamara Fackrell is an Attorney Mediator in Utah. She has had a private law practice since 1998 focusing on family law. She graduated cum laude from BYU Law School, has a PhD in Marriage, Family, and Human Development, and is a LLM candidate at Pepperdine for International Dispute Resolution. Tamara taught mediation as a Law Professor for 14 years. She received the Phi Alpha Delta Professor of the Year Award in 2006. She has had a private mediation practice focusing on divorce and domestic mediation since 1997.
Tamara served on the Advisory Committee to the Judicial Council for the State of Utah for House Bill 4, which required mediation for all contested divorces. She is a Domestic Mentor for the State of Utah and does one-on-one training for those who are becoming divorce mediators in the State of Utah. She helped to initiate the Victim Offender Mediation Program in the Fourth District Juvenile Court and also the Provo School District Truancy Program. She has taught thousands of at-risk youth and professionals principles of conflict resolution, communication, mediation, and negotiation. Tamara is a Master Mediator and Primary Trainer for the State of Utah and performs certifications in mediation and divorce mediation for professionals. She received an honorary award from the Juvenile Justice Services and the Slate Canyon Youth Program in 2004, 2005, and 2008. Tamara is the mother of six children. She enjoys biking, triathlons, sewing, faux painting, and composing music.
- International Dispute Resolution, LLM Candidate, Pepperdine University, Malibu California.
- Marriage, Family, Human Development, PhD 2012, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah.
- Master Mediator, Primary Trainer, Domestic Mentor. Received training from the J. Reuben Clark Law School in mediation and domestic mediation in 1997. Has mediated since 1997, thousands of cases. Trains community members in Domestic Mediation, Victim Offender Mediation, Truancy Mediation, and Basic Mediation.
- Attorney at Law, Juris Doctorate, J. Reuben Clark Law School, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, April 1998, Cum Laude, Top 25% of class, Dean’s Scholarship 1995-1998.
- Bachelor of Science, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah December 1994 3.85 gpa Magna Cum Laude Psychology Major, Communications Minor, Phi Kappa Phi, National Golden Key Honor Society, Myron Abbey Scholarship, Dean's Scholarship, Communications Talent Award.
- Attorney-Mediator 1998 – Present, Private practice in mediation and family law. Mediated more than 1000 cases. Focus on high conflict divorce, custody, negligent homicide, parent teen, employment and partnership disputes, and other relationship-based mediations. Domestic Mentor for State of Utah to train others in domestic mediation since the beginning of the law in 2007. Practicing Attorney in Family Law, Private Counsel for FSBO Leader LLC; help to negotiate, draft and review contracts.
- Master Mediator, Domestic Mentor, and Primary Trainer for Administrative Office of the Courts through Innovative Training Solutions LLC 2005-Present
- Mediation Part Time Faculty of the BYU Law School, Provo, Utah November 1998 – Present Initial Director of Schooley Mediation Program, Teach law classes in Basic and Advanced Mediation.
- Slate Canyon and Juvenile Justice Services, Consultant January 1999-2008 Run mediation clinics for Juvenile Justice System including parent teen, victim offender. Wrote curriculum and developed classes for youth.
- Director, Community Dispute Resolution Services March 2003- November 2005. Master Mediator Trainer for all Basic Mediation and Domestic Mediation Trainings.
- Cowley Chapter Phi Alpha Delta Professor of the Year of the J. Reuben Clark Law School 2006, Outstanding Service Award for the Juvenile Justice Services and the Slate Canyon Center in 2004, 2005, 2008, Zion’s Wow Award Winner in 2005, Radio Guest on the Doug Wright Show 2005, Radio Guest on Healthy Wealthy Wow, 2005, and Deseret Book Author Award and Recognition 2005.
- Founding Board of Directors of the Utah Committee on Conflict Resolution, Founding Board of the Community Mediation Center, Active member of the Utah Bar Association since 1998, Central Utah Bar Association, and ADR section of Bar. Collaborative Family Lawyers of Utah Member 2004-2005, Member of the Daughters of the Mojave County Pioneers, and the J. Reuben Clark Law School Pro Bono Initiative Committee 2006, Association for Conflict Resolution Proposal Review Committee for National Conference 2008. Stevens Henager College Advisory Board 2007 – Present. Utah Valley State University Legal Studies Advisory Board 2007 – Present, Appointed by the Utah Supreme Court as a Mentor in the New Lawyering Program.
- Hawkins, A. & Fackrell 2011. Should I Keep Trying To Work It Out? Perspectives on the Crossroads of Divorce. BYU Studies.
- Fackrell, T., Hawkins J., & Kay, N. (in press) How Effective Are Court-Affiliated Divorcing Parents Education Programs? A Meta-Analytic Study Family Court Review.
- Fackrell, T, Buswell, L. Galovan, A., Hill, E.J., Jones, B.L., Carroll, S.J. (in press) The work-family interface: A U.S. Singapore cross-cultural comparison, Journal of Family Psychology.
- Hill, E. J., Carroll, S. J., Jones, B. L., Buswell, L. A., Fackrell, T. A., & Galovan, A. M. (in press). The relationship of temporal workplace flexibility to work-life integration and associated outcomes for professionals. In C. Reindl (Ed.), Work-Life Integration for Professionals.
- Hawkins, A. and Fackrell, T. (2010), Does relationship and marriage education for lower-income couples work? A meta-analytic study of emerging research, Journal of Couple & Relationship Therapy, 9:181-191. Link to article http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15332691003694927
- Hawkins, A. and Fackrell, T. (2009) Should I Keep Trying to Work It Out? A Guidebook for Individuals and Couples at the Crossroads of Divorce (And Before) Utah Commission on Marriage, 2009. http://utahmarriage.org/htm/divorce/keep-trying-guidebook
- LexisNexis Expert Commentary: Tamara A. Fackrell on Confidentiality Implications of Utah Uniform Mediation Act for Mediation Agreements November 28, 2007;
- LexisNexis Expert Commentary: Tamara A. Fackrell on Mandatory Domestic Mediation and Domestic Mediator Qualifications in the State of Utah December 4, 2007,
- Deseret Book Author of The Potentially Sane Mother’s Guide to Raising Young Children 2005,
- Wrote Articles for LDS Living Magazine on Children Rearing and Mothering 2005 & 2006, various Articles in the Utah Council on Conflict Resolution regarding Mediation 2005
- Self-Published 10 Curriculums for Conflict Resolution in the Schools,
- Fackrell, T. (2007). Basic Mediation Training Manual: Forging New Pathways of Peace
- Fackrell, T. (2004). Domestic Mediation Manual.
Parent Teacher Association
- Coordinated the PTA Silent Auction Fund Raiser in 2004 & 2005
- Developed and Taught Character Education Curriculum for Spring Creek Elementary 2000-2005 and Reagan Academy 2006 & 2007, and Westfield Elementary 2008-2009.
- Truancy Summit for the 4th District Juvenile Court 2005
- Advisory Council for Utah County Substance Abuse Board 2003-2005
- Advisory Council Meeting to the Judicial Council for the Domestic Mediation House Bill 4, 2005
- Utah Valley State College Task Force for Employee and Student Grievance Policies 2005.
- BYU Single Adult Conference 2004
- Utah County Chapter of the UCCR 2004
- UVSC Pre Law Society Presentation 2005
- Conflict Resolution Seminar for Slate Canyon 2004-2006
- BYU ADR Society Presentation 2005
- Radio Guest for the Doug Wright Show 2005
- Provo School District Advocate Training 2005 - 2007
- Mothering Conference 2006 & 2007
- Women in Leadership Conference 2006
- Radio Guest for the Healthy Wealthy Wow 2006
- San Francisco California Singles Adult Retreat Key Note Speaker 2006
- BYU Student Leadership Conference 2007
- BYU Conflict Resolution Campus Seminar 2007
- BYU Marriage Seminar Sponsored by Women Services 2007
- Utah Valley State College 4- Day Seminar Presentation 2007
- National Conference Keynote for University Testing Centers 2007
- Pre Law Advisement Presentation 2007
- Radio Guest for Persogenics for Couples 2007
- Strengthening Families Monthly Speaking Engagement 2007
- Marriage Seminar in Malibu California 2007
- Utah Valley University Staff and Faculty Student Services Keynote Speaker 2008
- Life Change Seminar Speaker on Communication 2008
- Communication Detective- 14 Communication Indicators to Decipher and Tools to Crack the Communication Barriers ACR National Conference July 2008
- Ten Secrets to an Amazing Marriage Provo Utah 2008
- Making a Good Marriage Amazing Provo Utah Stake 2008
- Six Love Languages: How to Improve Your Marriage through Simple Acts Provo Utah Stake 2008
- Money Talks: How to Stop Your Money from Only Saying Goodbye Clearfield Utah September 2008
- Smart Marriage Conference Co-Presented with Bill Doherty and Alan Hawkins on Reconciliation for People at the Crossroads of Divorce. Orland Florida 2009.
- AMCAP Presentation to therapists 2010, Crossroads of Divorce.
- Salt Lake County Work Place Training Effective Communication in the Work Place 2009, 2010.
- Multiple other speaking engagements